Sitting Pretty in Cebu City With a Book

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sherlock



            Hello, lost person. Welcome to my book blog. I made a resolution to read at least a hundred books this year and this is where I'll write about them. More often than not, I find I'll read a book and months or years later remember very little about it. I'd like to get more out of what I read and really explore the way books make me feel and examine how they're relevant to me...

           Anyway, not thirty minutes ago (It's about 11 pm right now) I went out to get a donut because I was craving something sweet to go with my coffee, and across the street from Krispy Kreme is a Barnes & Noble. They close at 11 on weekends and I often stop by at night when I'm bored and want to just browse. Anyway - I found something that made me giddy with delight; I'm still grinning from post-purhase euphoria. I found, in the Bargain Price section The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures, The Memoirs, and The Return of Sherlock Holmes, PLUS The Hound of the Baskervilles, all in one book - published just as they were in the 1890s in the British magazine, The Strand - WITH all the original illustrations by Sydney Paget. And ALL THAT for just $8.00. Can you believe it?! I could hardly. The only thing that may diminish the luster of my delight is the fact that A Study in Scarlett is not to be found in the book. Hello?! How in the world could they leave out the story where Holmes and Watson first meet? Aside from that, I think it was a very good deal. The pages are thin and newspaper-like, and the book is a facsimile of the original magazine, so you see little imperfections in the letters - I suppose these were portions where the moveable type did not press the ink evenly onto the paper; I think it adds to the charm of the book. Suffice it to say, I can forgive the omission of A Study in Scarlett.

           


No comments:

Post a Comment